The Blue Kat

I wasn't sure how it happened, but suddenly she was there, right in front of me: the Blue Kat. Slinking across the ground, hurried and silent and eyes locked on her far-away. From the sky, light reflected against those pale-green facets, but I could still see past them, in through her pupils to the thoughts that bred there. Her fur was the same blue hue as my memories - light and turquoise like a rippled Caribbean sea - and the skin around her eyes still as powdery pale and soft as I remembered...
And I remembered...when we used to chase sunbeams that flitted through the air. When we drank moonlight and feasted on wild berries and foraged mushrooms at midnight. I remember when we bathed in the flowering colours of a rainbow, and dived through inky-blue seas to their depths, where no one else in the world could find us. I remembered the daydream that we lived in - every tiny detail of that multi-layered land... the trees and woodlands, the meadows and deserts. Hills and valleys; they were our playground.
I remembered how she had known my dreams, whispered her own to me in pinky-promise confidentiality, and how we had frolicked through lifes golden fields: a Kitten and a Puppy. Family and Friend.
Now her muscles bunched and released as she sped past, along her foreign ground to her unknown destination. A curl sat on her lips, and a confidence was painted on her face. I watched and watched, until I watched her disappear, again. I let the memories hatch once more and then take to the sky and glide away. She was gone, for what seemed both the first time, and the last time.
But now, it was the last time, I know. Because this time, this final time, it was me who said goodbye.

Comments

Popular Posts